Friday, July 10, 2009

In memory of a dead record....

For whatever reason, I've always been a big tennis fan. I grew up being all about Pete Sampras. In a similar fashion to Barry Sanders, my other childhood idol, I loved how understated he was. He did his business, often in heroic fashion (this is one such occasion that comes to mind) and just went about his way. It gets really good around the 4 minute mark. The announcers just go completely silent for long periods of time in awe. That never happens. Pete was just a class act and did the most spectacular things in a remarkably understated way throughout his career. The reason why I bring this up of course, is to point out my displeasure with Roger Federer having broken this record last weekend. It's not that I'm upset that the record was broken, it's that I'm upset that the record was broken by a guy who dresses and acts like this:



Gag me.  I've been trying to figure out why I despise him and I think SI captured it:

"While the rest of the field lodged in modest apartments and townhouses in Wimbledon Village, Federer stayed in a sprawling manor a mile or so from the All England Club.  He strode onto Centre Court wearing a Rolex, a Sergeant Pepper-style blazer that covered a gold-trimmed shirt and belted shorts, and gold-accented Nike shoes bearing his initials - all the while clutching a gold and white man purse."

It was also gut-wrenching to see Andy Roddick give everything he had and come up short like that. He just can't get over the hump. Back to Federer, I won't lie. I absolutely can't stand this guy. When I look at that quote and his "RF" clothing and general smugness, I can't help but think that he is the Princeton Football to Rafael Nadal's Harvard Football. How's that for an extremely biased, unfounded comment? Regardless, nothing made me happier than to see the Australian Open this year, when Nadal beat him (again), and literally broke him. Federer was balling like a baby and Nadal patted him on the back at one point, as if to say, "It's ok. You can't help it that you don't have as much heart as I do." He may have the most majors, but he's not the greatest ever. For the majority of his career, he's been a great player, but one who has played in an era of weak competition. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



Song of the Day:

Manchester Orchestra - I've Got Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment